Monday, March 11, 2013

Bloomin' Nine Patch

March 11, 2013 
Today is Blue Monday, not in the sense of it being sad but I will show you two blue quilts this week. I love blue and decorate a lot with it. In this first picture I wanted to get outside in the fresh March air. My husband, Eugene and I went for a nice drive and spotted this lovely, neatly stacked woodpile up on a hill. I couldn't resist whipping out my Bloomin' nine patch out of the trunk of my car to have this picture taken. The owner of the woodpile gave me permission to use his woodpile but he exclaimed with a big smile that it was the first time he ever had a quilt photographed . He left for the house in a hurry to tell his wife I'm sure.  




This quilt is a Bloomin' Nine Patch.The quilting pattern is an allover pantograph called Soft N Sweet. I like this pattern a lot because it fits together well. This is a big queen size quilt and is very striking. As you can see it matches the Flow Blue dishes perfectly.



The back of the quilt shows this Soft N Sweet pattern nicely. This Flow Blue platter, circa 1891 was made by Burgess & Leigh , England and is a family heirloom. It belonged to my husband's grandmother and was passed on to us from his mother over 35 years ago. This large platter was kept in his mother's trunk, wrapped in wool blankets from the Oxford Woolen Mill, Oxford ,NS. It had not been taken out for years. The platter is in pristine condition and hence has been the contributing factor for many blue quilts, table runners and wall hangings. Be sure to check on Thursday to see another blue quilt feature.

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh.. gorgeous! Never met e blue quilt I didn't love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Blog and also the fact that you have shown some Antiques.....Keep up the Good work....Linda Derrah

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother taught me a very important lesson about quilts, "Blue and white are always right." I love ALL of your blue quilts.

    ReplyDelete